Friday, December 24, 2010

Weight Loss Part 1

Beginning in Oct 2009 I decided after a scary visit to the doctor that I was going to lose weight.  The doctor informed me that I was at risk of having diabetes.  This scared me beyond comprehension because my grandmother had both her legs amputated due to diabetes related issues.  I was only 7 at the time but that was unbelievable. My grandmother was in a wheelchair because she had her legs cut off. So hearing that I could possibly be diagnosed with diabetes had me making some hard choices.  I love chocolate and was mostly sad that I would have to give it up.  It was almost Halloween so I would have to miss out on all the wonderful candy.  But did I want my kids to remember me as an sick? No.  With determination I decided to take small steps to start my weight loss.  Earlier in the year I had lost over 30 pounds but gained it all back because I stopping exercises and staying on my diet.  So I this time I started really slow. I watched how much I ate and how I was feeling after.  Was I full? Too full? Hungry still? This took work. For three months I tried to curb my appetite and adjust my portion size.  Gradually it worked and I was ready by December to start working out. I was at my all time heaviest weight at 225. That was a number I could not believe. I was a size 22 in the picture above. It was slow at work so I was able to go to the gym 3 times a week during lunchtime.  Cardio...that's what I needed.  Diligently I went to the gym. 30 minutes is about my limit on one machine.  I didn't want to get bored so I actually tried something new.  I had always used the elliptical or treadmill.  I wanted to try the StairMaster.  5 minutes is how long I lasted on the very first level.  That was defiantly something to work up to.  I started to go to Zumba classes with a friend.  They were fun and kept me moving.  By January I was in line for another position and wanted to look my best so I stuck with my workout.  Inspiration is what I needed. Now, I am an emotional eater but I eat when I am bored. So I tried to stay as busy as possible....at work and at home. February 1 I started my new job I weighted in at 205.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Weightloss